Due to their regular and heavy use of Joy, the Wellies spend the entirety of their lives in a drug-induced state of euphoria, with them seeing the world as bright, vibrant and colorful. The player can get a taste of this by taking Joy themselves.
- 1 Appearance
- 2 Behaviour
- 3 Variations
- 4 Each of the different Wellie variants
- 5 Loot
- 6 Quotes
- 7 Trivia
- 8 Gallery
The Wellies and Wellettes all only have one face, purposefully made to look iconic and dapper, while still generic enough to not draw attention to its repetition.
The Wellies are lanky and friendly, often seen wearing pork pie hats or flat caps, turtlenecks or dress shirts with a vest on top, and rectangular glasses. Some Wellies wear mustaches over their happy face masks.
The Wellettes are stylish and modern, often seen wearing simple colorful dresses that would've made a statement, were it not for everyone wearing the same clothes that all reject the past. They have cat-eye makeup and light-pink lipstick over their happy face masks.
Much like the Wastrels, they're all very thin and appear to be starving. This is due to the severe food shortage in Wellington Wells.
Starting at 7:00 AM, the Wellies will spend their day strolling around the streets of the city, sitting on benches, reading newspapers, jumping in puddles, playing patty-cake with one another, brewing coffee and, most importantly, taking their Joy.
At 8:00 PM, all Wellies will vacate the streets and return home to abide by the curfew. From 9:00 PM onwards, they will be asleep.
The Wellies will sleep until 7:00 AM, when they'll wake up and return to their routines.
While following the same behaviour seen in Story Mode, the Wellies have far more actions that they can make, such as drinking coffee, selling and taking newspapers, sleeping on benches, lean against walls while smoking a pipe, and much more. All of these actions can be done by any of the Wellie variants. (see Gallery)
Wellies can also talk to each other, though they both have to be men. Standing nearby, the player is able to listen in on their conversation.
If a Wellie decides to sleep on a bench, the player can suffocate them as they usually would if the Wellie was sleeping on a bed. A sleeping Wellie will not react and wake up to anything the player does, however, they will react if the player does something illegal before they've gone to sleep.
When hostile, Wellies wield various weapons, such as:
The kind of weapon they attack with will go up in difficulty in each Act, meaning they may wield Frying Pans regularly during Act l, but will wield The Spitfire during Act lll.
Taking the advice from Uncle Jack, they will take matter into their own hands and fight Downers themselves, and if their health gets low enough, they'll plead for their life before running away.
The following actions will direct a Wellie's attention to the player:
- Attacking somebody.
- Attacking Peepers, Jubilators and other machines.
- Breaking curfew.
- Breaking open windows and/or containers with a Jimmy Bar.
- Carrying or searching a corpse.
- Picking locks.
- Running, jumping, crouching or climbing up anything.
- Staring at wellies for over 15 seconds, 7 seconds if it's from behind.
- Stealing items.
- Tampering with control boxes.
- Trespassing restricted areas.
- Tripping off a downer detector.
- Using the Extractor to extract a car.
- Walking around in inappropriate clothes. (or none at all)
The "Oh, You" skill allows the player to run, jump, crouch, spy, and climb wherever they want.
Wearing a Boiler Suit allows the player to tamper with control boxes without being suspicious.
The "Nothing To See Here" skill allows the player to not be applied to curfew, allowing them to walk around safely during the night, though only in Hamlyn Village.
- Main article: Crier
The archetypal British old lady in Hamlyn Village, they are special 'alarms' who will draw a crowd when they spot a Downer, though they'll never attack one themselves.
- Main article: Bobby
The law enforcement in Hamlyn Village, though they can sometimes be found guarding certain locations in the Garden District. The Bobbies are much stronger than the average Wellie.
- Main article: Joy Doctor
As the name suggests, the Doctors are tasked with treating the ill, though their solution often results in injecting the sick with more Joy. They have a keen sense of smell and can sniff out people who have forgotten to take their medicine.
- Main article: Soldier
The height of society, these Wellies are only found in the Parade District. They're responsible for handling all of the governing, administrative, management and bureaucratic work in order to keep the whole city running.
As the name suggests, Council Workers are tasked with repairing and maintaining the infrastructure and buildings in the city, but because of their heavy intake of Joy, they can be often be found slacking off elsewhere. All of the workers are men.
Wellies who have a desire to be punished, but can't remember why. They can only be found at The Reform Club and The Church of St. Genesius. Unlike regular Wellies, their routine is flipped; they're active during the night, and gone during the day.
In order to fit in at the club, the player has to wear the Rubber Cat Suit.
Special to the Lightbearer DLC, the fans have an obsession with Nick Lightbearer, to the point of violence. The girls all wear the same dresses depicting the Union Jack Flag, and the paparazzis all appear as regular Wellies, though with a camera around their neck.
The paparazzis will not attack Nick, but they will blind him with the flash of their cameras.
Each of the different Wellie variants
The following items can be gathered from Wellies' corpses, do note that it's randomized:
- Bobby Pin
- Chunky Stew
- Cloth Scrap
- Moldy Bread
- Raw Meat
- Slice of Pie
- Strange Meat
- Toasted Chicory
See Wellie's Quotes
- The Wellies' outfits were heavily inspired by '60s fashion icons such as Mary Quant and Pierre Cardin.
- Joy is a contraceptive, which is the reason no one has gotten pregnant in the past 17 years, with one exception.
- The Wellie face model bears a striking resemblance to that of Guillaume Provost, the Creative Director behind Compulsion Games.
- Only two of the dress patterns in the concept art (see gallery) made it into the game, though the one on the far right has had its colors switched.
- It's suggested that every single citizen, including the playable characters, are cannibals thanks to Reg Cutty's business. However, they're all unaware of this matter.
- As stated in the loading screen, the reason why Wellies doesn't care about the player right after they committed a crime mere seconds ago is because they popped a Joy and forgot about them.
- However, it's never explained why the Wastrels stop caring.
- Signs are very important to the Wellies, as Joy makes them forget the most basic tasks. As such, notes can be found plastered all over their homes, while signs and posters remind them to keep doing exactly what they should be doing.